Saturday, January 19, 2013


DAY 19
SOIL & ROOTS
Genesis 46, 47 & 48 and Matthew 13:1-30
Genesis 46 Jacob reappears on the scene. While this chapter contains another genealogy, it is verse 1 and 2 that catch my eye. Jacob is leaving the land that God has given him. He goes and offers sacrifice at Beersheba. [We have read about Beersheba. Abraham made an oath there with Abimelech (21:31) and Isaac (26:23-33).] God again is with him as he appears to him in a vision. As Jacob sets out, late in his life, on a journey that could easily be full of concern and worry, God reassures him. I am impressed by Jacob’s action to offer a sacrifice. God has taken root in him.

Genesis 47 & 48 highlights not only that they make it, but they settle in a good part of the land. The famine reaches its severest level and Joseph amasses an amazing amount of property and people for Pharaoh. We read in chapter 47 the recurring theme of the younger being blessed first as Joseph brings his two sons to Jacob. While Joseph is not happy, Jacob reassures him, and in comparison to how Jacob got his blessing this is a rather subdued moment.   

It is an interesting contrast. A barren land, famine everywhere, where no seed can grow, and in the midst of this blight we have a family reunion full of hope. Jacob with all his sons, and grandsons; then he offers his blessing as a new generation is dawning. What will take root from his life in his twelve sons, and by what means will God’s promise come to completion?

Matthew 13:1-30 begins the parables of Jesus. We have the well known parable of the Sower. Jesus explains this parable in verses 18-23. The similarity and the questions from the Old Testament selection are similar. The question for this blog is…has the Word of the Kingdom taken root? This parable is all about good soil and the things in and around the soil that thwart the Word taking root. Reading and writing this blog certainly has caused a lot of seed to be scattered about. What has grown in my mind and more importantly in my heart from these 18 days of reading?

It is a bit hard to reflect backward while I am in the middle of doing it. I am enjoying the reading and writing. The question though is a good one. God’s expectation of His Word is that it yields a harvest, and I don’t believe he is thinking that the harvest is a head full of Bible knowledge…no He is thinking a harvest of transformed lives.

The question, while I don’t have a succinct answer is making an important point, and that is for me to try and keep this ideal of transformation in front of me as I read and write. Reading the Bible in a Year is less about completing a project in 365 days (so I can say “I did it”) and more about God’s Word being planted deep within good soil. So for now…off to bed to think more about what has taken root.

[Oh by the way, the short parable in verses 24-30, just a quick note, God says let the weeds grow with the wheat. In other words, don’t worry about the evil around you, just grow. God says he will deal with the evil later…if only it were that easy to not get distracted.]


1 comment:

  1. I tried to relate to The Parable of the Sower if it felt like I was in the middle of a famine. I guess the answer is if I have built up and store up enough faith I can get through a famine in my life.
    Like in Joseph dream he was told there would be 7 good years first and he knew enough to put it in storage.
    I know that is not what this parable is about, but that is the way it spoke to me today.
    So when whenever things are going good with our walk with the Lord and we feel our faith is growing stronger that’s good. There will time that we feel our faith is the only thing we have.

    ReplyDelete