Wednesday, May 29, 2013


DAY 149
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
2 Chronicles 7, 8 & 9 and John 11:1-29
I have just returned from the new Star Trek movie: Star Trek Into Darkness. Maybe that is why I have titled today “Live Long and Prosper.” But maybe it fits the readings!
You have heard me say that Jesus really had a difficult time convincing his Jewish brothers and sisters that the “Kingdom of God” was not about restoring Israel to its former earthly grandeur, but about something different. Today in our Old Testament lesson we get a thumbnail sketch of the Nation of Israel’s greatness under Solomon. Ponder the riches of the king and prosperity of the people. Solomon built all sorts of cities and possessed an amazing amount of…well everything. Between Solomon and David, Israel enjoyed greatness for some 80 years. Certainly the early years of David’s reign were tenuous, but imagine 80 years of prosperity. In many ways we can in the United States. This memory has a powerful effect on the people for centuries. Jesus is five centuries the other side of this situation, and it is what the people long for.
Their goal was to “live long and prosper.” You might say that is many people’s goal.
In our New Testament reading with have the first half of the Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead. We don’t read of him actually raising Lazarus; we will read that tomorrow.
I am always struck by the different parts of this reading. We hear how Jesus loved Martha and Mary. We might say, “Jesus loves everyone.” True enough, but the fact that John points this out shows a special relationship. Then we have Jesus talking to his disciples. There is a little “back-and-forth,” they do not want to go back to Jerusalem – the stones are still in the hands after his last “Good Shepherd” encounter. Thomas has a great line (we often remember Thomas’ line after the Resurrection but check this one out) “let us also go, that we may die with him.” We often label Peter a certain way, but do you get a sense of Thomas between this and his other “moment.” This guy is one of those pessimistic realists.
So Jesus and his disciples go. I love what I see as a turn-about in roles. We first met Martha and Mary in Luke’s Gospel, chapter 10 beginning at verse 38. In that scene Mary is the one to be with Jesus while Martha is consumed with the preparations. In John’s account today Martha runs to be with Jesus, while Mary stays home. I point this out not to judge Mary, she is most likely overcome with grief. Yet today Martha has a wonderful interaction with the Lord as she struggles with the death of her brother. Today we read Jesus saying, “I am Resurrection and I am Life, whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live.” Jesus asks Martha if she believes, and before Lazarus is raised she professes Jesus as Christ.
I have stood where Jesus stands in our readings; at the sight of someone who had died and is being mourned. I have done a number of funerals. Not as many as some, but enough. It is always a privilege to be with people at the loss of a loved one. It is amazing how people allow me into such a private moment. My job is certainly one of comfort and usually a little counseling depending on the circumstance. My job is also to proclaim hope. I don’t say “live long and prosper.” I do say, at every funeral, as I am walking down the aisle with the casket or urn, “I am resurrection and I am life, says the Lord, whoever believes in me shall never perish, even though he die. And everyone who has committed himself to me in faith, shall not die forever.” John 11:25 & 26, what we heard Jesus say today to Martha.
In the movie I saw tonight (skip to the end if you do not want me to ruin a part of it) James Tiberius Kirk dies. In that scene he and Spock make the Vulcan salute to each other to which the response is Live Long and Prosper. Later Kirk is raised from the dead using the villain’s blood. The Vulcan blessing of Live Long and Prosper is made manifest! We don’t need a villain’s blood to give us life – for our Savior has shed his in order that we might live.
Jesus point of coming to earth is so that you and I will have life and have it more abundantly – John 10:10. We read this verse two days ago. The “tense” of the Greek verb indicates that the “life” Jesus is talking about is both “now and forever.”
I poked at us a little bit when I wrote earlier that many people have a goal of “live long and prosper.” Jesus offers us life today, abundant life. We start that life by believing in him enough to follow him. If we do we will “live long and prosper” – a life of eternity and a prosperity, not to be confused with worldly material goods, but of one that has the peace and joy of Almighty God…now and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment