Wednesday, February 13, 2013


DAY 44
AND THE ROOSTER CROWED!
Leviticus 14 and Matthew 26:51-75
Have they made a statue of you denying Jesus? We see they have of Peter. People often pick on Peter. I tend to think he is just saying what I am thinking. It is not that Peter denied (past tense) that this Carpenter from Nazareth, this Jesus, is the Christ…it is that I do (present tense).
The scene begins with the man soon to be denied restoring an ear. He seems to be in this business of restoration. In Haiti there is so much to restore, so much destroyed, and so much still decaying. It was January 12, 2010 that the 7.0 earthquake erupted in Haiti. More than two years have gone by – so quick to be destroyed and so long to restore. Jesus is about restoration and in many ways we are to be people who witness this as well.
Yet this man of restoration is spat upon and struck. Why? Why; because he challenged the power brokers of the day, because he challenged the forces that destroy and lead to decay. Because he is operating (and I pray you do not miss this) at a cosmic level. He is about the business of challenging the person who leads the charge of rebellion against God, and He will defeat this power…but we are getting ahead of ourselves.
Yesterday I focused more on Jesus and did not comment so much on the disciples. Peter when the cock crows breaks down; he is undone. He has sworn allegiance to Christ, and at this most severe test he folds. Can you imagine how he feels? Have you ever walked away from a conversation thinking, “I should have said this or that”? Have you ever wondered if you denied Christ? I have more than wondered. I know I have. It does not feel very good. Just last week I left an interaction wondering how I could have better made a point about Jesus, wondering if my “kindness” was in the end a denial of Him who bore the trial we read about today.
Regardless of our (my) weakness Jesus restores: He will restore Peter beautifully in John chapter 20. In many ways this is what we read about in the Old Testament. Restoration is possible! Healing is possible! Once done an offering sanctifies the person to be restored to the covenant community and then they are anointed to signify their renewed dedication.  We also read about the clothing. The clothing is not just about sin, but about decay! It needs to be removed, cut away from what is becoming new.
I am left wondering, praying really, about what part of me needs to be cut away so that God can restore. I am left wondering what part of Haiti, of this little village of Pouly, we can help restore. May God be gracious.

No comments:

Post a Comment