Thursday, July 18, 2013

DAY 200
UP & DOWN
Psalm 20, 21 & 22 and Acts 21:1-17
Do you experience “ups and downs?” Many people have mood swings and some experience quite a few over the course of a day. I felt like I went through a huge mood swing between Psalms 20/21 and then Psalm 22. The first two are like mountaintop praises and the third Psalm has such strong lament the we include it in our Good Friday services as Jesus dies on the Cross – quite a mood swing. Scholars think Psalm 20 and 21 were written in regard to the war with the Ammonites, cf. 2 Samuel 10:19.
I think Paul’s companions are “up and down.” They are happy to see him, but when they realize that danger awaits him in Jerusalem they want him to avoid going there. Paul however is determined and his intentions give his friends great pause – “Let the will of the Lord be done” proclaims Paul.
Paul does not seem to be subject to mood swings from his circumstances – he certainly does have them – but not in this instance. His sense of doing God’s Will, his sense of direction, seems to be carrying him in what I imagine is a rather emotional period of his life as he says goodbye to all these wonderful people he has become brothers and sisters with.
Having a direction, God’s direction, is something to hold onto. The circumstances that trigger an “up or down” mood are plentiful during our days. If I can hold onto my purpose, what God has me doing – be it a loving husband and father, a faithful priest, etc. – if I can keep those in focus, then the swings seem to have less of an affect. There is nothing wrong with being down when something really bad happens, or up when something good happens…my point is about all those little things during the day that tend to cause me to “swing.” It is those small things which often cause disproportionate "huge swings” that I need to be conscious of - the key is remind myself of God's direction for my life and invite God’s Holy Spirit to guide my steps.


No comments:

Post a Comment