Tuesday, July 23, 2013

DAY 205
TASTE
Psalm 33 & 34 and Acts 24
Psalm 33 is full of that wonderful word, hesed, which we translate steadfast love. I wrote about it a few days ago on Day 197. The steadfast love of the Lord is a wonderful thing, and it is thought that this Psalm was composed by David after being forgiven for his adultery (just as Psalm 32 was). Hesed is an amazing attribute of God.
It can be challenging to think in isolation about concepts such as God’s steadfast love, His faithfulness, etc. I have suggested before that it is why we remind ourselves over and over again of God’s story – and our story – because when we do, the cumulative evidence is overwhelming.
Yet Psalm 34 presents another concept for you to ponder…taste. Taste and see that the Lord is good (34:8). The first Bible I was ever given had this verse written in beautiful calligraphy on the inside cover. The person giving me this wonderful gift suggested that as I read God’s Word, I should taste it and enjoy how good it is! A few days ago I went out with some friends to a small French Restaurant. To enjoy that food requires that I slow down, take small bites and actually allow it to linger in my mouth. Now I am the sort of guy who “inhales” his food. I can actually finish my lunch before my wife Beth has actually finished sitting down and spreading her napkin. I too often eat that way, and I too often “do life” that way. However, to taste something requires a purposeful consciousness, and even a sense of anticipation.

When you go to church to worship, are you full of anticipation about meeting God, or how about when you pray…or read your Bible? Sometimes I am, but most times God has to work hard to get my attention. All too often I come to church, or prayer, or study with a zillion things in my mind. Today, take a moment, slow down, and enjoy God’s Word…maybe go back a read a verse or two…and with respect to the Acts reading, I will write about it tomorrow because today I just want to enjoy the taste of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment