Saturday, July 20, 2013

DAY 202
WHAT IS YOUR STORY?
Psalm 26, 27 & 28 and Acts 22
I am not sure how the Psalms might be “hitting you” or “meeting you.” There continues to be talk of the “wicked” and a desire on the part of the Psalmist for God to punish these people. We might have a view that says we shouldn’t think this way.
Consider for a moment the story of the people writing these Psalms. It is thought that Psalm 26 and 27 were written while the people of Israel were captive in Babylon. You remember the story. They have been hauled off, taken from their homes and turned into slaves. The Psalmist writes of the desire to dwell in God’s House (we think heaven, they are thinking of where heaven and earth meet…the Temple). The Psalmist also writes that God will punish the wicked; those who have pressed them into slavery.
When I am noodle-ing theologically I will often ask myself, “So how would this theology work in Sudan, or China, or some of the other “2/3’rd’s world” where people live under tyranny, quite possibly not knowing where their next meal is coming from.” I ask that question because those of us in the West get caught up in our story. It is natural enough, yet we often perceive God’s favor differently than others in the world do. Now I believe God cares about all of us. I believe God hears our prayers. I believe God put me in the “West” so I need not be full of some sort of misguided guilt. Having said all that, what I also believe about God ought to transcend cultures and geography and time. God should not be conditioned only be “my story.” Might I want God to intervene and deal with my oppressors if I was in a country and being oppressed? I think the answer is obvious. Might I long for a time when I could be free to worship in the Cathedral? Again, the answer is obvious.
But I am in the West and so what might the Psalms and even Acts of the Apostles being saying to me…and maybe to you? First off, any of these reading might be speaking to a deep part of your life, and if one of them is, then I say “Amen.” Another point might be to consider Paul’s situation. Here he is, locked up in Jerusalem. Why – because he told his story and invited others to come to know God in Christ Jesus. Not only is he locked up, but he is about to be flogged. All of a sudden his Roman citizenship matters. Not only does it interrupt his planned flogging, but it is about to give him his day in court…a day he call tell others about Jesus. Today he gave his testimony, about how God had completely changed his life. Many rejected it, but I imagine some were affected. Tomorrow he will be able to tell others.

Today, you and I are given an opportunity…how has and does God presence affect your life…what does Jesus have to do with your life…and might God placing you in the place He has be as much about you telling your story as it is Him answering your prayers?

No comments:

Post a Comment