Saturday, June 1, 2013


DAY 152
UNITY
2 Chronicles 15 & 16 and John 12:27-50
Today as we come to the end of John 12, we come to the end of Jesus’ time in public. Then next time he will speak in public will be at His trial. If you have a moment, scan again the 23 verses of today with that in mind. It is rather dramatic. Jesus cries out…and said, "Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me.  And whoever sees me sees him who sent me.  I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness.  If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.  The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day.  For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment--what to say and what to speak.  And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I say, therefore, I say as the Father has told me."
And with those words the “curtain falls” as it were, and Jesus retreats to be with his disciples.
What is it Jesus said? What point do we take away from Him? First there is His deep desire to have us understand that He is united with the Father – He is not a “Lone Ranger.” No, He is Light! I mentioned that point yesterday…in fact His Light is shining so brightly that others, non-Jews, notice. Finally we get an interesting saying about judgment.
Judgment relates to Light. Jesus says that it is not He who judges, but the WORD. This Word is shining out. This Word is not just Jesus’ Word, it is from the Father…there is Unity in all. My mind hears the echoes of John chapter 1: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” Our Lord does not stand there wagging His finger at us, He simply and profoundly points out that all that needs to be said, has been said. In fact it has been said, you might say “in-fleshed” in the Word made flesh, Jesus of Nazareth.
Jesus, as He is retiring from the public makes this final cry, this final proclamation. The author of the Gospel, John, makes is clear that Jesus is proclaiming himself as God…yet again, not a Lone Ranger, but the faithful Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment