Monday, June 3, 2013


DAY 154
BETRAYAL & ENEMIES
2 Chronicles 19 & 20 and John 13:21-38
Sober times: sober times in Judah with enemies attacking, sober times in the Upper Room as Jesus’ “betrayer” is identified.
If you have been on this journey with me, then let me point out the obvious, the Bible is full of sober, real life, moments…the Bible is a very real book. Today we read about enemies and betrayers – we face enemies and betrayers. I know those are strong words, but let me ask you, ever feel betrayed…ever wonder if people really were against you? I know you don’t want to think about this situation. I know we all want to “get along,” but that is just not real life. And when you are a king, or the King, your enemies and betrayers will no doubt be of epic proportions. Today Jehoshaphat faces the Moabites and Ammonites. The text says “he was afraid and set his face to seek the Lord.” Wow, what good advice…when you are afraid, set our faces to seek the Lord. Contrast Jehoshaphat’s actions of seeking the Lord to his actions in 20:37 where instead of seeking the Lord, Jehoshaphat seeks and alliance with an evil king…as you might expect it does not go well.
We move from that moment, fast-forward about 600 years, and hear Jesus say, “one of you will betray me” and it goes downhill from there. Jesus actually identifies his betrayer, and then points out that Simon Peter will also betray him…all to his enemies. Unlike Jehoshaphat, I have the sense that Jesus was much more confident of His Father’s support. He does have to gird himself for what He is about to face, but none-the-less He knows this is the plan. How many times has he told his disciples, and us, that the Son of Man must suffer? In John 3 he speaks specifically about being lifted up. Jesus knows he will be “betrayed and handed over,” he has said exactly this.
Do you expect to be betrayed and have enemies? I don’t, and I know that I should seek reconciliation with those who I get “sideways” with, but the question remains, should I expect to be betrayed and have enemies? Jesus has said in this Gospel, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart, I have overcome the world.” Jesus has said you and I will have trouble. I don’t like to over-think this situation, but Jesus is trying to tell us not to be surprised by it…nor should we be afraid for “Jesus has overcome the world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment