Sunday, June 16, 2013


DAY 167
DEVOTION
Nehemiah 4, 5 & 6 and Acts 2:22-47
Devotion: something we all admire; something we all hope to be able to do to something or someone worthy of it.
In the Old Testament we read of Nehemiah’s devotion: he was devoted to the rebuilding the wall and to the people. I love the image of people so determined that they were rebuilding the wall with one hand, and with their other hand they held their weapons – there is a devotion to the task at hand.
Nehemiah was not just a task oriented person; he was devoted to the people. We note that some people were really suffering. Nehemiah not only corrects the situation with the nobles, but he also provided financial relief.
In the New Testament, after the Holy Spirit comes upon the early believers, we read they were devoted to “the apostles teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of the bread, and to the prayers.”
The Greek word for devotes is “proskartereo” meaning to join, to adhere to, to be ready, and to be fully committed to. The first century church had a devotion to the things of God all by themselves. They wanted to learn more about Christ.
I find the phrase “They devoted themselves” is one of the most inspiring and dynamic descriptions of the early Church. They are the first words ever written about the church and a springboard for them to launch in a new direction.
I am asking myself, “What I am devoted to, what am I so consumed by that I would even keep one hand on my weapon!”

No comments:

Post a Comment